“I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.”
Thank you so much for responding to God and the call to go “to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8) As a major part of this process, it important for us to take time to prepare. One of the major ways that you will prepare will be to bring others around on the journey with you. You will do this through the requesting of partnership through prayer and financial support. All throughout the scripture, we are reminded of the importance of support and encouragement. Jesus sends out the disciples in pairs of twos, Paul thanks the church in Philippi for their partnership in the Gospel, and believers pray for more boldness while John and Peter are in prison.
Start right now by sharing with people about the excitement that you have for the trip that you will go on. There are a variety of ways to raise support for your trip. Remember that God has placed this on your heart and He will provide for you as you are faithful to him in the process. Consider the following options.
God knows the financial deadlines you’ve been given, and we believe He will work with you to meet them if it is His plan for you to go on your trip.
Does God want you to:
- raise support through support letters, fundraisers, etc.?
- work an extra job?
- sell your personal possessions?
- cut down in your spending in order to save for your trip?
- give up your current savings in order to pay for your trip?
Here are some ways that you could fund raise.
We encourage you to be very purposeful as you fundraise.
- Be kingdom-minded. Creatively use these opportunities to share the gospel or help others in need.
- Make sure you communicate where their money is going.
- Think of what you love to do, you’re good at, etc. Then do it with/for others with the purpose of raising support.
- If you love baking/cooking, have a bake sell or host a dinner asking everyone to donate toward your trip.
- If you can wash a car, have a car wash. Charge for the wash and leave out a jar for extra donations. Make sure you clearly explain where these donations will go.
- If you have some extra items at home, have a garage sale. Ask friends to donate items for you to sell. They’ll be thankful that you took it off their hands, and be happy to let you keep the money.
- If you and your friends are artsy, make something (t-shirts, art, etc.) and sell them.
One great way to include people is by sending a support letter.
If you write a support letter, you’ll want to make sure you include the following:
- What led you to go on this mission trip? What was the process for you personally and how did God make it clear to you that you were to go on this specific trip? What are the aspects of the trip that would be worth noting? What will you be doing and how do you hope to impact the people that you are going to visit?
- What are your needs? How can people be praying for you as they partner with you on this trip? How can people pray for you personally, the ministry, your team and the people that you are working with. How can people support you financially? How much actual money do you need to raise and by when? What will this money be used for?
- How do people actually give to your trip? What are the steps in the process? You can include this specific excerpt in your letter if you would like.
If you would like to donate towards my trip, please visit the following website and find my trip.
If you would rather make a financial gift by check, you can make your check payable to Coast Hills Church. You may note the missionary's name on a separate envelope or note. Do not place their name in the memo section of the check. The check can be put in the offering box or you can mail your check to
Coast Hills Church
ATTN: (name of mission trip),
5 Pursuit, Aliso Viejo CA 92656
If I am unable to participate in the trip, your gifts will be used to support the short-term missions program of the church.
It may be best to keep your support letter to one page. Be sure to write thank you notes and keep a list of email contacts for you to follow up with your supporters right before you leave and while you are on your trip, or when you get back. Good luck in this process. Start right now by making a list of 50 people that would like to know and support you on a mission trip. Start with that and see what happens.
Please see the attached document for a sample letter that you might want to send.
We are praying for you and so excited for what God is going to do through your trip.